Skip to main content

What is a First Conditional Sentence?

WHAT IS A FIRST CONDITIONAL SENTENCE? We use the first conditional to talk about a real situation that will happen in the future. We also use first conditional sentences to persuade, warn, or threaten.  How do you make a first conditional sentence? Here's the structure: If/When + present tense, will + infinitive  If I exercise, I will feel tired.  What are some examples of first conditional sentences? When I wake up, I will walk the dog. If it's dark outside, I will not drive.  If you don't do your chores, you won't be allowed to play video games.  (threat) When I pick up my son, I will stop at the grocery store. If you drive in a snowstorm, you will be in danger.  (warning) If you cook dinner, I will do the dishes.  (persuasion) 

Welcome to English With Janie!


Welcome to my blog! Are you learning American English? Are you looking for free resources to help you reach your goal of mastering English? If so, you’ve landed in the right place! My name is Janie, I’m a Cambridge CELTA certified English ESL teacher. I’m a native speaker, born and raised in the United States. My aim is to help you speak English more fluently.




Comments

Popular Posts!

What is a Zero Conditional Sentence?

WHAT IS A CONDITIONAL SENTENCE? Conditional sentences have two clauses: the condition clause (if) the result clause If you heat water, it boils.  The if clause can come before or after the result clause.  Water boils if you heat it.  WHAT IS A ZERO CONDITIONAL SENTENCE? We use the zero conditional to talk about an event that always follows another, general truths, and scientific facts. The result of the condition in the “if” clause is always true. The structure is simple: if/when + present simple, present simple If I pet the cat, she purrs . Examples of zero conditional sentences: If you heat water, it boils. If you eat a lot, you put on weight. When it doesn’t rain for a long time, the earth gets very dry. If you open the blinds, the room is brighter. If I’m tired, I go to bed early. If it’s hot, I sweat. When it rains, the streets are slick.  ZERO CONDITIONAL EXERCISE Practice making zero conditional sentences by answering these questions. Write your answers in the comment